Selecting Officials Step-by-Step Instructions for
Reporting Selections, Non-Use of Certificate,
or Requesting Additional Names
Step 1 Go to: USA Staffing - this will open a new window
Step 2 Click on Sign in with smart card and enter your Pin.
Step 3 Click Sign in.
Skip to step 5, if you are a selecting official.
Continue with Step 4, if you are a HR contact.
Step 4 Click on the caret to the right of your name. Click User Type, then on Hiring Manager User. This takes you to the Hiring Manager side of USAS.
NOTE: HR Contacts will NOT see certificates if they are in the Human Resources User Type.
Step 5 To access the certificates assigned to you, click Reviews.
Step 6 Click the Review Name link to open the review.
Step 7 A pop-up of review instructions will automatically populate including the expiration date of the certificate, who it was issued to, the DOI FIRES Applicant Contact Form, and links to further instructions. Click Close once read.
To review the instructions again, click the blue View Instructions button.
Step 8 Click on certificate you wish to open, then click the Review Lists button.
Step 9 For each applicant, in the Documents column, click the arrow to the right of the number to view the applicant's uploaded documents, such as the resume. A pop-up window listing all the documents will display.
Step 10 Annotate each selection and/or non-selection by clicking on the Select a Decision link under the Selection Decision column.
Selection Decision. This field displays the applicant selection decision(s) made. The options and definitions are:
- Selected. The applicant has been selected for this position.
- Alternate Selection. The applicant has not been selected for this position, but has been identified as an alternate selection.
- Not Selected. The applicant has not been selected for this position.
- Declined/Withdrawn. The applicant has declined or requested to be withdrawn from consideration for this position. The options and definitions are:
- Withdrawn from Consideration. The applicant requested to be withdrawn from further consideration.
- Failed to Reply. The applicant did not respond to contact attempts.
- Declined Interview/Assessment. The applicant declined the invitation to participate in an interview/assessment.
- Declined Location. The applicant declined the position based on the location.
- Accepted Another Position with Agency. The applicant decided to accept another position with the agency.
*NOTE: Veterans must be coded to Selected or Declined/Withdrawn codes.*
DOI FIRES Applicant Contact Form and Instructions
Required to be completely filled out and uploaded for all Declined and Failed to Respond Applicants.
When using the Not Selected code for non-veterans AND an additional certificate or new announcement is requested, a reason for not selecting the applicant needs to be provided on the contact form above.
NOTE: In order to be eligible to receive an additional certificate or a new announcement, the current certificate must have fewer than 3 eligible candidates available, as per the SOPs Request to Recruit and Re-announce and Requesting Certificate of Eligibles.
Examples of Reasons for Not Selected for Non-Veterans: not available for start date, poor references, etc.
Failure to provide adequate justification will delay requests for additional certificates and/or announcements.
Step 11 At the bottom of the page, click on the Approval Status drop-down and either select Incomplete, Selection Made or Selection Not Made.
Step 12 Click on the Back to Assignments button on the bottom right-hand corner to go back to view other reviews.
Step 13 If you are a Selecting Official, you will need to notify your HR contact that you have made selection.
At this point, HR Contact(s) can review the certificates and click the Return to HR button, which returns the certificate back to the FPO.
NOTE: The selecting official(s) will not have the option to click the Return to HR button.