Follow the steps below to apply to Fires Vacancy Announcements
Step 1 Go to: www.usajobs.gov
Step 2 Select Sign in(top right hand corner) or Create a Profile.
To Create an Account you are asked to fill out a short form and select "I agree. Create Account." Once submitted, you will be asked to confirm your account by
logging into your e-mail and clicking the link sent to you. After confirming your account, you must complete your profile in USAJOBS before applying to vacancies.
Step 3 RESUME: You must build a resume with the USAJOBS Resume Builder or have an Uploaded Resume on your profile BEFORE applying. Select "Documents" on the left hand side of the screen. Then click "Upload or build resume" and follow the steps to build your resume. On the last tab, 'Finishing Up', select the "Save Work Experience", this saves your resume.
Click here for more information on USAJOBS Resume Builder.
Step 4 FIND VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: Click on "Search", then select either, "Key Words" or "Location" and fill in the blocks with the information you are searching for. Once complete, select "Search" and then you will see the list of open vacancy announcements.
Step 5 REVIEW VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: Review the announcement thoroughly. The announcement describes who is eligible to apply, what experience and/or education
are required and what supporting documentation you need to fax/upload with
your application. Your resume and documentation must support your responses
to the vacancy questions.
Step 6 APPLY: Click “Apply”, link at the right side of the page. Select your USAJOBS resume you would like to submit with your application and work through the steps of the application process.
Step 7 SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION: Submit required supporting documentation that applies to you. Follow the Faxing/Uploading Steps. Then click "Finished" and
be redirected back to "My Account" on USAJOBS, where you can track
You must complete the entire application process and be redirected back to USAJOBS to successfully apply to a vacancy announcement.
Step 8 APPLICATION STATUS: Select "Application Status " once you are logged into
"My Account", find the vacancy you applied to, on the right hand side it will indicate you status. Click the "+" to see more application details. You can filter your application by status. You will be notified through e-mail if you are referred.
TIP: At the bottom of the page select Help/FAQs
Updating Your Application:
- You have until the closing date of a job vacancy to edit your answers to the vacancy questions. You MUST complete all steps below in order for your updated information to be received.
- Sign into your USAJOBS account.
- Go to your Applicaitons and find the application you would like to update.
- Click the “+” icon to see all of the application details.
- Review the Closing Date - you can no longer update the application if the job is closed.
- Click "Update Application."
- You will be sent to the "Review" of the USAJOBS application process and then click "Continue to Agency Site" - this is the final step in the USAJOBS application system.
- Complete the remaining steps of your application in the agency application system.
- Click "Submit" in the agency application system - your application will not be updated until you submit.
You may edit your personal information and resume at anytime during the open period of the announcement. After you edit your personal information or resume in "My Account" you must REAPPLY to the open vacancy announcement and complete the application process to overwrite the previously submitted information.